Institute for Research in Technology
IIT is a research center of ICAI School of Engineering, which belongs to the Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid, Spain.
Its main objective is to promote research and post-graduate studies in different technological fields, by means of developing research
projects of interest for the Industry and Administration.
Area of Engineering Design
- Mechanical systems
- Structural mechanics
- Machinery components
- Fast prototyping
- Electrical systems
- Electromagnetic fields and coupled problems
- Energy systems
- Heat transfer
- Fluid dynamics
- Thermoelectricity (Peltier and Seebeck effects)
- Hydraulic and thermal machines
- Energy efficiency and savings
Area of Railway Systems
- Efficiency in railways operation.
- Energy efficient timetabling and train driving (Ecodriving).
- Optimal design of signalling and railways capacity.
- Railways power systems.
- Safety analysis, specification and demonstration of RAMS, quality control and assurance.
- Communication and control in railway power systems.
Area of Intelligent Systems
- Forecasting and data mining
- Modeling, simulation and optimization
- Reliability, maintenance and diagnosis
- Artificial vision
- Mobile robotics
- Helping accessibility using ICT
- RAMS Analysis
Group of Electronics and Automation
- Automation, Communications and Industrial Informatics
- Power Electronics and Control Systems
- Electronic Instrumentation
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
Area of Modelling, Analysis and Control
Desarrollo de herramientas informáticas para estudios electrotécnicos relacionados con aspectos tales como:
- Power flow
- Load-frequency control
- Frequency/voltage control system or governor system
- Automatic voltage control
- Electric power systems design
- Relaying Systems / protection schemes
- Distributed/dispersed generation impacts
Area of Smart and Green Networks
- Planning and operation of active networks with distributed
generation and active demand response.
- Quality of service and network security by automated functions
for operation and control.
- Tariff design and price signals for an effective integration fo
distributed generation and active demand response.
- Long-term energy prospective and its impact on the electricity Publications
- Large scale integraton of renovable energy keeping the security
- Markets for procurement of ancillary services (voltage control
and operational reserves) including large scale penetration of
Area of Regulation and Economics of Energy
- Regulatory design of energy markets
- Economic instruments for environmental and climate change policy
- Transmission and distribution networks regulation.
Area of Decision Support Systems in the Energy Sector
- Short term operation and market bids.
- Hourly operation tools for generating units, hydrothermal scheduling and economic dispatch.
- Bid strategies in electricity markets.
- Medium term planning studies.
- Methods and tools for hydrothermal scheduling, market price forecasting.
- Network analysis, nodal price computation.
- Generation and bulk system reliability.
- Long term strategic analysis.
- Generation expansion modeling.
- Impact of new generation.
- Future markets.
- Distributed and parallel computing applied to mathematical programming problems.
- Distributed computing on grid and cloud infrastructures.
- Parallel computing on multi-core architectures like GPUs.
||: El PC de Bolsillo. Primeros pasos con Raspberry Pi
On Monday November 18th Ernest Moniz will be grantend with Honoris Causa Doctorate by Comillas University of Madrid, Spain. Professor Moniz was named United States Secretary of Energy by President Barack Obama on May 2013. Formerly he was Director of the Laboratory for Energy and the Environment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and played a very important role in pushing for the program of collaboration between Comillas and MIT named COMITES. Under the umbrella of COMITES the IIT is developing research projects in cooperation with MIT (getting financial support mostly from US companies and agencies), ICAI professor are regularly teaching courses at MIT, and there is an active exchange of PhD students between MIT and IIT with several thesis being co-supervised by MIT and IIT professors.
For the sixth consecutive year, Máster en Sector Eléctrico (Erasmus Mundus), coordinated by Javier García González is number one in the ranking for "Environment: Energy" category, according to the study about the top 250 masters in Spain, published by El Mundo newspaper. El Mundo
Antonio Fernández-Cardador member of the technical-scientific committee for railways systems of Ministerio de Fomento. More information...
The book Regulation of the Power Sector is now available. It has been edited by Ignacio J. Pérez Arriaga, and several IIT members had participated. doi 10.1007/978-1-4471-5034-3
Florence School of Regulation interview Ignacio J. Pérez Arriaga about the book. Watch video
Nuñez, A., Pérez-Arriaga, I.J.
Assessing the results of electricity liberalisation for consumers in Spain,
Energy Sources Part B: Economics, Planning and Policy. 9 (3), 221-228, (Jul/2014)
JCR impact factor 0.788 (2012)
Sastre, C. M., Maletta, E., González-Arechavala, Y., Ciria, P., Santos-Montes, A., del Val, A., Pérez, P., Carrasco, J.
Centralised electricity production from winter cereals biomass grown under central-northern Spain conditions: Global warming and energy yield assessments,
Applied Energy. 114737-748, (Feb/2014)
JCR impact factor 4.781 (2012) - CIRC: EX
Abenojar, J., Encinas, N., del Real-Romero, J.C., Martínez, M.A.
Polymerization kinetics of boron carbide/epoxy composites,
Thermochimica Acta. 575144-150, (Jan/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.989 (2012) - CIRC: A
Alguacil, N., Delgadillo, A.R., Arroyo, J.M.
A trilevel programming approach for electric grid defense planning,
Computer & Operations Research. 41282-290, (Jan/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.909 (2012) - CIRC: EX
López López, A.J., Pecharromán, R.R., Fernández-Cardador, A., Cucala, A.P.
Assessment of energy-saving techniques in direct-current-electrified mass transit systems,
Transportation Reseach Part C - Emerging Technologies. 3885-100, (Jan/2014)
JCR impact factor 2.006 (2012) - CIRC: A
Pizzuti, T., Mirabelli, G., Sanz-Bobi, M.A., Gómez, F.
Food track & trace ontology for helping the food traceability control,
Journal of Food Engineering. 12017-30, (Jan/2014)
JCR impact factor 2.276 (2012) - CIRC: EX
Latorre, J.M., Cerisola, S., Ramos, A., Perea, A., Bellido, R.
Coordinated hydro power plant simulation for multi-reservoir systems,
ASCE´s Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management.
JCR impact factor 1.709 (2012) - CIRC: EX
Accepted for publication.
Matanza, J., Alexandres, S., Rodríguez-Morcillo, C.
Difference sets-based comprenssive sensing as denoising method for narrow-band power line communications,
JCR impact factor 0.637 (2012) - CIRC: A
Morales-España, G., Ramos, A., García-González, J.
An MIP formulation for joint market-clearing of energy and reserves based on ramp scheduling,
IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
JCR impact factor 2.921 (2012) - CIRC: EX
Accepted for publication.
Boal, J., Sánchez, A., Arranz, A.
Topological simultaneous localization and mapping: A survey,
Robotica. online, (Dec/2013)
JCR impact factor 0.880 (2012) - CIRC: A