Institute for Research in Technology
IIT is a research center of ICAI School of Engineering, which belongs to the Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid, Spain.
Its main objective is to promote research and post-graduate studies in different technological fields, by means of developing research
projects of interest for the Industry and Administration.
Area of Engineering Design
- Mechanical systems
- Structural mechanics
- Machinery components
- Fast prototyping
- Electrical systems
- Electromagnetic fields and coupled problems
- Energy systems
- Heat transfer
- Fluid dynamics
- Thermoelectricity (Peltier and Seebeck effects)
- Hydraulic and thermal machines
- Energy efficiency and savings
Area of Railway Systems
- Efficiency in railways operation.
- Energy efficient timetabling and train driving (Ecodriving).
- Optimal design of signalling and railways capacity.
- Railways power systems.
- Safety analysis, specification and demonstration of RAMS, quality control and assurance.
- Communication and control in railway power systems.
Area of Intelligent Systems
- Forecasting and data mining
- Modeling, simulation and optimization
- Reliability, maintenance and diagnosis
- Artificial vision
- Mobile robotics
- Helping accessibility using ICT
- RAMS Analysis
Group of Electronics and Automation
- Automation, Communications and Industrial Informatics
- Power Electronics and Control Systems
- Electronic Instrumentation
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
Area of Modelling, Analysis and Control
Desarrollo de herramientas informáticas para estudios electrotécnicos relacionados con aspectos tales como:
- Power flow
- Load-frequency control
- Frequency/voltage control system or governor system
- Automatic voltage control
- Electric power systems design
- Relaying Systems / protection schemes
- Distributed/dispersed generation impacts
Area of Smart and Green Networks
- Planning and operation of active networks with distributed
generation and active demand response.
- Quality of service and network security by automated functions
for operation and control.
- Tariff design and price signals for an effective integration fo
distributed generation and active demand response.
- Long-term energy prospective and its impact on the electricity Publications
- Large scale integraton of renovable energy keeping the security
- Markets for procurement of ancillary services (voltage control
and operational reserves) including large scale penetration of
Area of Regulation and Economics of Energy
- Regulatory design of energy markets
- Economic instruments for environmental and climate change policy
- Transmission and distribution networks regulation.
Area of Decision Support Systems in the Energy Sector
- Short term operation and market bids.
- Hourly operation tools for generating units, hydrothermal scheduling and economic dispatch.
- Bid strategies in electricity markets.
- Medium term planning studies.
- Methods and tools for hydrothermal scheduling, market price forecasting.
- Network analysis, nodal price computation.
- Generation and bulk system reliability.
- Long term strategic analysis.
- Generation expansion modeling.
- Impact of new generation.
- Future markets.
- Distributed and parallel computing applied to mathematical programming problems.
- Distributed computing on grid and cloud infrastructures.
- Parallel computing on multi-core architectures like GPUs.
||Propuesta de tesis: GENERAL METHODOLOGY FOR THE OPTIMUM DESIGN OF CLOSED WIND TUNNELS
On Monday November 18th Ernest Moniz was grantend with Honoris Causa Doctorate by Comillas University of Madrid, Spain. Professor Moniz was named United States Secretary of Energy by President Barack Obama on May 2013. Formerly he was Director of the Laboratory for Energy and the Environment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and played a very important role in pushing for the program of collaboration between Comillas and MIT named COMITES. Under the umbrella of COMITES the IIT is developing research projects in cooperation with MIT (getting financial support mostly from US companies and agencies), ICAI professor are regularly teaching courses at MIT, and there is an active exchange of PhD students between MIT and IIT with several thesis being co-supervised by MIT and IIT professors.
Chaves, J.P., Fernandes, C.
The Spanish intraday market design: A successful solution to balance renewable generation?,
Renewable Energy. 74422-432, (Feb/2015)
JCR impact factor 3.361 (2013) - CIRC: A
Eid, C., Reneses, J., Frías, P., Hakvoort, R.A.
The economic effect of electricity net-metering: consequences for network cost recovery, cross subsidies and policy objectives,
JCR impact factor 2.696 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Accepted for publication.
Saiz, E., Lobato, E., Egido, I., Gómez-Sánchez, C.
Voltage control assessment of wind energy harvesting networks,
IET Renewable Power Generation.
JCR impact factor 2.280 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Accepted for publication.
Mastropietro, P., Batlle, C., Barroso, L., Rodilla, P.
Electricity auctions in South America: Towards convergence of system adequacy and RES-E support,
Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. 40375-385, (Dec/2014)
JCR impact factor 5.510 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Rodríguez Monter, A., Bueno, E.J., García-Cerrada, A., Rodríguez, F.J., Sánchez, F.M.
Detailed analysis of the implementation of frequency-adaptive resonant and repetitive current controllers for grid-connected converters,
Electric Power Systems Research. 116231-242, (Nov/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.595 (2013) - CIRC: A
Carvajal, W., Cucala, A.P., Fernández-Cardador, A.
Optimal design of energy-efficient ATO CBTC driving for metro lines based on NSGA-II with fuzzy parameters,
Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 36164-177, (Nov/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.962 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Rodriguez, A., Frías, P., Reneses, J., Cossent, R., Mateo, C.
Optimal investment in smart MV/LV substations to improve continuity of supply,
International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. 62410-418, (Nov/2014)
JCR impact factor 3.432 (2012) - CIRC: EX
Serrano, I., Linares, J.I., Cantizano, A., Moratilla, B.Y.
Enhanced arrangement for recuperators in supercritical CO2 Brayton power cycle for energy conversion in fusion reactors,
Fusion Engineering and Design. 89 (9-10), 1909-1912, (Oct/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.149 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Serrano, I., Cantizano, A., Linares, J.I., Moratilla, B.Y.
Modeling and sizing of the heat exchangers of a new supercritical CO2 Brayton power cycle for energy conversion for fusion reactors,
Fusion Engineering and Design. 89 (9-10), 1905-1908, (Oct/2014)
JCR impact factor 1.149 (2013) - CIRC: EX
Campos, F.A., Reneses, J.
Energy and reserve co-optimization of a combined cycle plant using mixed integer linear programming,
Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 136 (10), 101702-1-101702-11, (Oct/2014)
JCR impact factor 0.788 (2013) - CIRC: A